Creating a Flat Business isnt’t just going online with your business. A flat business, in a flat world, takes a good idea and a good preparation. On this page, I’ll try to point out a few strategies, specifiactions, …which can help set up your flat business. But for starters a brief presentation on the future of work/business!
First of all, I want to make clear that a flat business is not only about e-commerce, or setting up an online business/shop/commercial site/… A flat business is a business where you use the flat world as a integrated part of your business. If not on the commercial site, maybe on the back-office or processing side….there are many ways in yout business can be a flat business. A flat business uses new technologies, communications and media to set up or change their business idea.
It helps to create a flat business if you look at trends for the future. Try to select 5 trends/challanges for the future which will have an impact on your business or have an impact on your business idea. For each challange/trend you give 5 short/long term ideas (these can be specific for your business unit).
Try to work out a draft of the business model. Alex Osterwalder has created a canvas to work out your business model and idea.
Look if your idea/canvas matches these 8 criterias:
- a clear strategic vision based on a radically different way of meeting a large, previously unsatisfied customer/employer/supplier/stakeholder need.
- a set of highly distinctive capabilities – technological, marketing and logistical – tailored tot the needs of the market.
- value propositions that are so compelling that they change the customer/employer/supplier/stakeholder behaviour.
- an entrepeneurial but disciplined orginazation that balances creativity with practicality, is innovative but pragmatic, and creates effective teams
- a robust, radical business model that is not easily imitable
- genuine concern for the quality and consistency of the customer/employer/supplier/stakeholder experience
- leadership that ensures the clear communication of strategic direction and consistent implementation
- sharp on focus on the chosen market.
If your business canvas (which is based on your idea) fits the 8 criteria’s then you can start implementing the business model.