PEW research institute released a new report on media habits of american customers. Again this report gives great insights on how today’s people are using their connection/cell phones during their media consumption. More than 50% of today’s television viewers use their mobile device while watching a television show. Instead of bullying media distributors (like Telenet or Belgacom in Belgium) media producers (like television stations) should rethink their business model to connect with this connected viewer….it’s the viewer who’s changing habits, not the media distributors (something for Christian Van Thillo – a Belgian media icon – to think about).
But was does this connected viewer do while he’s watching television?
The PEW research report states:
- 38% of cell owners used their phone to keep themselves occupied during commercials or breaks in something they were watching
- 23% used their phone to exchange text messages with someone else who was watching the same program in a different location
- 22% used their phone to check whether something they heard on television was true
- 20% used their phone to visit a website that was mentioned on television
- 11% used their phone to see what other people were saying online about a program they were watching, and 11% posted their own comments online about a program they were watching using their mobile phone
- 6% used their phone to vote for a reality show contestant
Today media users definitely don’t want to be bothered with commercials….so rethinking traditional advertising is still priority number one for brands, and media producers. (And traditional measurements on traditional advertising reach on television probably aren’t trustworthy anymore.) A second challenge is getting a connection going with their viewers….why not create (digital) platforms which serve the connection and brings the viewers in close contact with the media company? Connection is the future….and through this connection you’ll probably get nice insights on your viewers which can generate the extra dollar/euro. (But then again connection isn’ voting!!!!!!!! – please remember this media producers.)
Zeebox probably is a good example on what’s possible with the connected viewer. Maybe this soon will break in continental Europe….let’s hope!
Just who is this connected viewer? Well according to the research sample this is the demographic outcome: